VIU is located on beautiful Vancouver Island, where recreation is a way of life year round. International students are encouraged to participate in activities with Canadian students and students from around the world. Some activities could include:
- day trips to Victoria and Vancouver for sightseeing and shopping
- summer-time beach days at Long Beach and Parksville
- movie nights, parties, festivals
- river rafting, kayaking, climbing, hiking
- ski and snowboarding trips to Mt. Washington and Whistler
- Pilates, weight training, dance workshops, yoga
- volleyball, table tennis, basketball, soccer, golf, squash
- varsity athletics, student clubs
- Canadian student buddy program
The Nanaimo Aquatic Centre, with an Olympic-size swimming pool, water slides and wave pool, is located within a 5-minute walk of the campus. Playing fields, tennis courts, bicycle trails, a 400-metre track, and baseball diamond are all located next to the campus.
- Check the International Student Activity Calendar for upcoming events.
- Join us on facebook.
- Check the Vancouver Island University Events Calendar.
- Visit the Vancouver Island University Gymnasium and ask for information on upcoming events for students or go to the website at www.viu.ca/campusrec.
- Be sure you are on the ISS list….
- Come to the International Education Building 255 Main Reception area and check out the Activity Board. Other helpful information is also available on the brochure display wall.
- Visit the Student Union Building 193 and ask for information on upcoming events.
Many upcoming events on and off campus, volunteer opportunities and helpful information for International Students is posted to this list. If you are not on this list come to the International Education Building 255 Main Reception for information on how to sign up. Canadian students can email Leslie Puska and request to be added to the activity email list.